Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthMindset
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:56:12
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Vikings TE T.J. Hockenson out for season after injury to ACL, MCL
- Chiefs coach Andy Reid defuses Travis Kelce outburst, chalks it up to competitive spirit
- 21 Non-Alcoholic Beverages To Help You Thrive During Dry January and Beyond
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- German police say they are holding a man in connection with a threat to Cologne Cathedral
- The death toll in a Romania guesthouse blaze rises to 7. The search for missing persons is ongoing
- 1-2-3 and counting: Las Vegas weddings could hit record on New Year’s Eve thanks to date’s pattern
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Despair then delight at Old Trafford as United beats Villa in 1st game after deal. Liverpool top
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- A US delegation to meet with Mexican government for talks on the surge of migrants at border
- Madewell's Post-Holiday Sale Goes Big with $9 Tops, $41 Jeans, $39 Boots & More
- A lawsuit challenging Alabama’s transgender care ban for minors will move forward, judge says
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- US online retailer Zulily says it will go into liquidation, surprising customers
- Next year will be the best year to buy a new car since 2019, economist says
- Patrick Schwarzenegger Engaged to Abby Champion: See Her Stunning 2-Stone Ring
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Fentanyl is finding its way into the hands of middle schoolers. Experts say Narcan in classrooms can help prevent deaths.
Turkey hits 70 sites linked to Kurdish groups in Syria and Iraq in retaliation for soldiers’ deaths
The Baltimore Ravens thrive on disrespect. It's their rocket fuel. This is why it works.
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Students at now-closed Connecticut nursing school sue state officials, say they’ve made things worse
National Weather Service warns of high surf for some of Hawaii’s shores
Wolfgang Schaeuble, German elder statesman and finance minister during euro debt crisis, dies at 81